Firmware Update - Not available under trial extended licence

Testing new functions
stimpy88
Vehicle: Ford Mondeo Mk5 - Diesel 2.0, 150, 2017

Firmware Update - Not available under trial extended licence

Post by stimpy88 »

Hello all, I have a question regarding firmware updates, and would like to know why it looks like the firmware update can be done, but the strategy files say "not available under trial extended licence"?

I have the 2 month free extended licence, and I'm new to using Forscan to update firmware.

So my question is, does this mean that if I was to go ahead with trying to update the module, Forscan will deliberately brick it?

I very much reads that way to me, as the log says it will not download 4 different strategy files, and only the main firmware and bootloader will be updated.

Is the only way to completely update modules to pay for a one year licence? I thought you could fully use Forscan if you obtained a 2 month trial licence.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-06-01 131210.png
Screenshot 2022-06-01 131210.png (42.29 KiB) Viewed 1700 times
Screenshot 2022-06-01 130739.png
Screenshot 2022-06-01 130739.png (35.79 KiB) Viewed 1710 times
tractmec
Vehicle: F150 5.4 Triton 2005 Expy5.4 2003 Fusion 3.0 2010

Re: Firmware Update - Not available under trial extended licence

Post by tractmec »

stimpy88 wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:08 pm
Hello all, I have a question regarding firmware updates, and would like to know why it looks like the firmware update can be done, but the strategy files say "not available under trial extended licence"?

I have the 2 month free extended licence, and I'm new to using Forscan to update firmware.

So my question is, does this mean that if I was to go ahead with trying to update the module, Forscan will deliberately brick it?

I very much reads that way to me, as the log says it will not download 4 different strategy files, and only the main firmware and bootloader will be updated.

Is the only way to completely update modules to pay for a one year licence? I thought you could fully use Forscan if you obtained a 2 month trial licence.
I suspect this means that the Firmware Part numbers with that message were not found at the The Ford DSM site: https://www.fordtechservice.dealerconne ... rogram.asp, There are many that are not there! The trial license works for this as long as the files are available at the Ford site!

In this case they are probably available in FORScan's data base and that Data Base is only available to Paid License holders as per this link: viewtopic.php?p=70209&sid=8dfdd7f1f5bc9 ... 781#p70209!
Which by the way you should have read the complete guide here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18751&start=10 and completely understood it before even attempting Firmware updates! This is not a safe process and should not be attempted "just because you can"! I have been at this for a while and the process stills make me nervous!

Remember the 2.4.x branch is still in Beta test status!

If you go ahead the modules not downloaded will likely not be erased if no updated Firmware numbers are available to be programmed(Light is red) and only the ones with updated green light status that are downloaded will be erased and programmed! The process will likely just stop, if it will even start, with an error message saying no files have been downloaded!
Do not PM me as I am not an Admin nor am I a member of the FORScan Team and all questions should be asked and answered on the Open Forum so all can benefit!
stimpy88
Vehicle: Ford Mondeo Mk5 - Diesel 2.0, 150, 2017

Post by stimpy88 »

tractmec wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:56 pm
stimpy88 wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:08 pm

I suspect this means that the Firmware Part numbers with that message were not found at the The Ford DSM site: https://www.fordtechservice.dealerconne ... rogram.asp, There are many that are not there! The trial license works for this as long as the files are available at the Ford site!

In this case they are probably available in FORScan's data base and that Data Base is only available to Paid License holders as per this link: viewtopic.php?p=70209&sid=8dfdd7f1f5bc9 ... 781#p70209!
Which by the way you should have read the complete guide here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18751&start=10 and completely understood it before even attempting Firmware updates! This is not a safe process and should not be attempted "just because you can"! I have been at this for a while and the process stills make me nervous!

Remember the 2.4.x branch is still in Beta test status!

If you go ahead the modules not downloaded will likely not be erased if no updated Firmware numbers are available to be programmed(Light is red) and only the ones with updated green light status that are downloaded will be erased and programmed! The process will likely just stop, if it will even start, with an error message saying no files have been downloaded!
I did read those guides, but nowhere does it explain or even mention that particular error! It's as clear as mud, which is not good when your doing something that can brick your car, and leave you at the mercy of a Ford dealership! The log does not say "You need to pay to use this" or "not available on Ford server, contacting Forscan server...", it only says "Not available under trial extended licence". Then takes you back to the screen where you flash the module! It's only because I saw red out of the corner of my eye that I didn't proceed, and clicked the log tab to see what it said.

The rest of this is not aimed at you, but at the Forscan team...

I have no problem paying for a licence, infact I intend to, (EDIT: I just bought a licence) but I was under the impression that you could ask for a free extended licence so that you could try before you buy, and that you would get no help from the Forscan team itself if you use it. I also have no issue with the Forscan team having their own private firmware files, but then they must explain, in app, that the extended license trial is not suitable for updating some modules, as you may not be able to download the necessary firmware files without paying first. If the error said that I need to buy the licence, then it will work, then fine, I will buy it.

If I had gone ahead and flashed this firmware, which it would have done, then I would have not known that my only way out of a potentially bricked car would have been to pay Forscan for a license. I would have just assumed it was a bug, or my own fault, and taken (or towed) my car to Ford and paid god knows how much for them to fix it, which lets face it, would probably have been a brand new module, as they know less that we do when it comes to this kind of work!

That error message should be a pop-up, not hidden in a log, and should tell you in plain language that Forscan has the files, and that you need to buy a licence to proceed, and NOT let you just flash a module with only partial firmware, unless you want to take the risk!

I understand that Forscan is never out of beta, so they don't have to expect liability, but after all these years, some things need to be looked at to ensure that something like this cannot happen, potentially costing a person thousands of Euros, all for the sake of explaining that maybe some of the firmware files are hidden behind a paywall, and proceeding will brick your car.
LaForge
Vehicle: Ford Focus 2011 - Frostwhite LaForge Edition

Post by LaForge »

You cannot use Forscan to load Firmware with a non Paid licence.
The free trail is not able to load the needed files.

If you use a paid licence all went fine. Forscan find the needed files an load them onto harddrive to flash them into module.
If you are in luck, you can try to load them from Ford directly. Then you can add them in CUSTOM Mode via manual selection in Forscan.
Then an Update will work.

Ford has changed the way of loading Modules. Forscan has unlocked this way for paid licences and ucds must be newer than 2.07

some actual files are still available. just try google and type "ford vbf file download"
Then you will find the site easyly.

Best regards

Karsten
Changed on my 2011 Focus:
Hill Assistant, Auto High Beam, Sync 3 with Navigation, Traffic Sign recognition, Lane Keep Assist,
Rain Sensor, Ambient Light, Footwell Lights, Facelift ST-IPC, BLIS, HSW from Focus FL & much more.
margut
Vehicle: Escape, L3 2.3L 2008

Post by margut »

It does not sound proper to hear complaints on a beta version of valuable free software that can be downloaded freely. More so if the information concerning the complaint's contents had been posted way ahead of it. It's just that one may have read it but did not mind it at all.

A good and valid suggestion sounds much better, I think.