Re: Focus mk4 Adaptive LED retrofit

Post by FocusStline »

Congratulations, well done!!
Thanks for sharing the process with us!
Graham17
Vehicle: Fiesta, 1.0 ecoboost/125/2016 Focus Mk4/125/2019

Post by Graham17 »

Thanks for the positive comments, hopefully it may help others who are contemplating doing this.
Yes i've done lots of retrofits before and have an electrical/ mechanical background which does help however with the guides i have provided, there's no reason good car DIYers cant achieve the same end results!
Feki1985
Vehicle: 2018 Ford Focus MK4 1.0 EcoBoost

Post by Feki1985 »

Os the adaptive lights working well? The glare free function is also ok?
Graham17

Post by Graham17 »

Yes they seem to be, they are programmed in the IMPA for glare free main beam and AHB.
I have driven in the dark, they AHB seems to work ok, however my friend has these on his car, apparently the main beam stays on, but a shield is put up to stop dazzle to oncoming vehicles. Will have to drive quite a it in the dark to ensure all the functions work as they should. But doing a on demand test on HCM goes through all its tests ok. So ✌
Update just been and tested on twisty road, all works great, puts black square over oncoming cars exactly as it should, impressive.
Graham17

Post by Graham17 »

Further to my recent post. One thing i should mention, when your retro fitting adaptive lights without the levelling sensors etc, you have no reference as to what the cars normal unladen state is. The level sensors have to be calibrated to a specific tolerance in order to perform the calibration correctly, also Forscan didnt have this facility luckily, The fantastic Forscan team sent me a test version to try, which i'm happy to confirm witks perfectly, once the level sensors are set correctly.
My problem how do you set them correctly when youve nothing to reference them too.
I mistakenly thought you could fit the arms in roughly the correct position and that was it. Alas NO, not even close!
You have to run the HCM pids programme and ensure the sensor arms are within certain tolerence to whats expected by the HCM as normal. Forscan then gives you live data and each arm can be set in its exact position to allow calibration to take place. We are talking very small movements give big differences so need to be accurate.
Luckily found someone in same boat as me and we shared info,(my thanks to Posta464) however i am awaiting some more settings to confirm mine are set correctly.
I will keep you all posted!