Focus mk4 Adaptive LED retrofit

Car configuration discussions and experience sharing
alpdbg
Vehicle: Focus mk3, 1.6 TDCi, 2014

Focus mk4 Adaptive LED retrofit

Post by alpdbg »

Hey everyone,
Is is possible to fit adaptive LED to focus mk4 if its with basic headlights? What hardware do I need(Is it only the headlights with all controlers on them)? Can I activate them throught FORScan? Thanks!
Kuma476
Vehicle: Ford Focus MK4 ST-Line, 1.5/182hp, manual, 2018

Re: Focus mk4 Adaptive LED retrofit

Post by Kuma476 »

It is possible if you have standard LEDs with HCM module. From Halogen or Leds without HCM the effort is quite large.
alpdbg

Post by alpdbg »

Kuma476 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 7:23 pm
It is possible if you have standard LEDs with HCM module. From Halogen or Leds without HCM the effort is quite large.
What is HCM module(Headlamp control module?) and how can I identify it? I want to buy a damaged car and they are always with broken headlights. Because of that I want when i fix it to retrofit the best option if its possible.
Graham17
Vehicle: Fiesta, 1.0 ecoboost/125/2016 Focus Mk4/125/2019

Post by Graham17 »

It is not just the HCM (headlight control module) you need, all of the loom is different also. On top of that you will need the auto headlight adjusters for front and rear, brackets for suspension. The headlights themselves and the LED controllers not always incl.
The list goes on and on. Perhaps if you find a damaged car and could purchase the whole lot in 1 go, but suspect it will be expensive. I looked into this myself, but too involved for the benefit. Would suggest a cheaper option H7 LED bulbs about £20 pair
Kuma476

Post by Kuma476 »

The HCM is actually a very good indicator because if you have LEDs with HCM you will automatically have the leveling sensors, auto height adjustment and the cable loom need zero modification. You just need to find complete iLEDs with LED driver, peferrably same firmware version. Of course some settings must be changed too. I have done this modification twice so far, so I know a bit about it.
If you don't have the HCM all the sensors etc. will be missing too and you better forget about it.
If you buy a broken car that had the standard LEDs (for low and high beam) and auto leveling (check the light switch) it will be doable. Newer standard LEDs come without HCM and autoleveling. The switch is different too, easy to distinguish from the other one.
alpdbg

Post by alpdbg »

Thanks!
I didnt know about HCM. If im going to buy a damaged one I will be looking for switch and HCM. About headlights-I knew that I need them with controller.
FocusStline
Vehicle: 2019 Focus ST Line wagon 1.0 125hp

Post by FocusStline »

Kuma476 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 9:46 pm
The HCM is actually a very good indicator because if you have LEDs with HCM you will automatically have the leveling sensors, auto height adjustment and the cable loom need zero modification. You just need to find complete iLEDs with LED driver, peferrably same firmware version. Of course some settings must be changed too. I have done this modification twice so far, so I know a bit about it.
If you don't have the HCM all the sensors etc. will be missing too and you better forget about it.
If you buy a broken car that had the standard LEDs (for low and high beam) and auto leveling (check the light switch) it will be doable. Newer standard LEDs come without HCM and autoleveling. The switch is different too, easy to distinguish from the other one.
Can you provide a picture of the switch with the auto level and one without?
I deemed this mod as impossible for my car. I have the LED lights and HCM. So according to you it should also have the lever sensors on the suspension?
After your post it is shining some light on this project again.
Kuma476

Post by Kuma476 »

I don't have pictures of the switch handy. But you can check the manual, i bet there are pictures for each.
If you have LEDs with HCM you should have sensors all fitted and no possibility to manually adjust the height. I have never seen a configuration with HCM and manual head lights.
FocusStline
Vehicle: 2019 Focus ST Line wagon 1.0 125hp

Post by FocusStline »

You are right. I’m missing the adjustment numbers on my headlight control switch. So you say it should be relatively easy to convert to adaptive LED’s? My IPMA need to be changed I guess, this is a -GA version. So that one should become a -C*.
Kuma476

Post by Kuma476 »

You could be right about the IPMA. I haven't tried with a Gx IMPA but knowing that AHB can't be enabled on these it would not surprise me if iLED also does not work. All cars with iLED that I checked had a Cx IPMA. I would say with a Cx you are at the safe side.