Focus mk4 Adaptive LED retrofit

Car configuration discussions and experience sharing
FocusStline
Vehicle: 2019 Focus ST Line wagon 1.0 125hp

Re: Focus mk4 Adaptive LED retrofit

Post by FocusStline »

I’m working on getting a -Cx cam at the moment. Can you share what need to be changed for the iLED’s to work?
Graham17
Vehicle: Fiesta, 1.0 ecoboost/125/2016 Focus Mk4/125/2019

Post by Graham17 »

According to the wiring diagram there are 3 options available on the Focus Mk4.
1. Halogen, these use standard H7 bulbs for both dip and main beam, but have led daytime lights. They have manual levelling and no HCM. Foglights illuminate when turning to give extra light. Fitted to most models (ebay sellers list them as led as they have the led strips, but arnt true leds.
2. Full led lights, these are sealed units which have 3 upper and 3 lower sections, using leds for dip and main beam, again these have manual levellers, a form of HCM but different to the adaptive HCM. Foglights illuminate to give extra light fitted to Vignale and Titanium X
3. Adaptive led lamps, these have swivelling Led lights for dip and main beam, are fully adaptive for both levelling and when turning. Use HCM with auto levellers back and front connected to suspension. No manual level switch. Fitted to some ST line X and ST models.

The wiring on all 3 are different so would need wiring adapting if changing. I know for a fact they are not plug and play to change any of the options. We tried to change an Adaptive set up to Full led, couldnt get it to work properly, dip worked, as did daytime light strip but no main beam, we determined it was a different HCM causing the issue and reverted back.
Nice option difficult to get working correctly without spending loads of money. Hats off to any who have managed it.
Perhaps a retrofit write up would help all us mere mortals who struggle!
FocusStline

Post by FocusStline »

Thanks Graham17 for the explanation.
On my car (Focus MK4 st-line) I have full leds installed, a HCM and no manual leveling.
Feki1985
Vehicle: 2018 Ford Focus MK4 1.0 EcoBoost

Post by Feki1985 »

Hello guys!

I've found a really strange configuration, what I've never seen before. iLEDs without HCM, and with manual leveling...
You can check it here:
https://www.hasznaltauto.hu/szemelyauto ... a-17077293
There is the VIN also, you can check it on Ford ETIS as well, and on the https://www.fordservicecontent.com

This car does not have HCM, but have iLED... how!? The BCM is also not so new, the car from 2019/12. So it means for me, you need to update the BCM, the LIN config if you have car without HCM and LED (maybe with halogens it also works)
Kuma476
Vehicle: Ford Focus MK4 ST-Line, 1.5/182hp, manual, 2018

Post by Kuma476 »

These iLEDs are surely not original. In Etis it says LED reflector lamp for this VIN and of course no HCM.
Maybe the owner took the adventure and fitted everything needed including sensors, HCM and the cable loom. You would not see this in Etis until the car is connected and scanned. I am wondering if these lights work as supposed.
Interesting - the car is from France, then it was according to Etis in Poland and now it is in Hungary. Wonder what else happened on this path...
Feki1985

Post by Feki1985 »

Or, simply can change the newer fixed LED to iLED, what is connected to the bcm, as I mentioned some months ago in email to you! By the way, it is really strange what happend with this car, I agree with you! :)
Graham17

Post by Graham17 »

There is no way to confirm whether or not the headlights work correctly, with listed config. In the UK the factory workshop manual lists the 3 configs i posted earlier, not sure about other countries.
My friend tried to fit full Leds to his uk st line look great but dont work correctly, had a look for him but it would need the HCM, sensors and wiring altering so reverted back to standard, too much work for little gain.
Yes LEDs look cool, run cool and use less power, also longevity is better, however if you fit LED bulbs to halogen lamps you get all of this without the hassle and can change them if they go faulty, you have to replace full headlight if factory ones go faulty.
Also wont be covered by warranty and may void it too if you've tinkered to fit, new headlamps.
Just my thoughts
Graham17

Post by Graham17 »

Reviving this thread again, armed with success on my other retrofits to mk4 Focus, I've decided to attempt a full adaptive headlight retrofit on my own Titanium.
I have obtained all of the needed components from ebay.
Which are as follows:
1. Adaptive headlight r/h JX7B-13E017-BE
2. Adaptive headlight l/h JX7B- 13E016-BE
3. HCM JX7B-13C148-ST
4. Level sensor front with bracket JX6C-3C097-BA
5. Level sensor rear with bracket JX6C-5B690-CB
6. Headlamp switch JX7T-13D061-LD or MB
loom will be modified by myself consisting of 14 wires to HCM these are as follows
Pin 1 Ye (co ax)lin L/H headlamp
Pin 2 Gn/Og twisted can
Pin 3 Gy/Bn twisted can
Pin 4 and 5 not used
Pin 6 Bn (co ax) lin R/H headlamp
Pin 7 pin 1 shield
Pin 8 Bn/Vt pin 3 rear level sensor
Pin 9 W/Gn pin 3 front level sensor
Pin 10 Gy/Ye +12v from BCM Fuse8 pin 69
Pin 11 W/Bn pin 1 rear level sensor
Pin 12 Gn pin 1 front level sensor
Pin 13 Bk/Bu Ground
Pin 14 Vt/Og pin 2 rear level sensor
Pin 15 Bn/Gn pin 2 front level sensor
Pin 16 Shield pin 6
The HCM on mk4 is completely different to previous models and has a very narrow pin pitch of 2.0mm
I have now established the connector needed is a molex 34824-1160, however getting 1 is a different matter, all are out of stock in UK? Postage from outside UK is prohibitive at £10 when item costs less then £1 and weighs practically nothing!

Work done so far found on my car that the front sensor mounting is already in place to mount the bracket onto, unable to see rear ones location, but have seen where it needs to go on microcat.
I have also modded both headlight connectors to include the needed extra ground on pin 5, and Lin wire to pin 11 (not present on halogen headlights)
The HCM mounts adjacent the BCM behind the glove box, but on UK its shown next to HUD on microcat, but will fit mine behind glovebox as easier.
I have checked the HCM asbuilt with 3 other vehicles, have found differences, believe this due to my HCM coming from an ST which has active independent rear suspension, mine doesn't, so will need modyfying accordingly.
Not sure if i need headlight switch as it may work with existing we shall see?
I also already have a Cx IPMA which i amended to have AHB so can modify this for adaptive headlights.
If yours isn't a Cx you will def need this.
Thats it so far next job is mounting front and rear sensors then running loom cables.
If anyone has any comments or can suggest where to get molex connector from please feel free to chip in!
Feki1985

Post by Feki1985 »

Go on, I’m really instrested what you can reach… :)
FocusStline

Post by FocusStline »

Can’t you get one via Mouser.com? That is where I ordered my connectors for CCM retrofit from.