Focus mk4 Adaptive LED retrofit

Car configuration discussions and experience sharing
Graham17
Vehicle: Fiesta, 1.0 ecoboost/125/2016 Focus Mk4/125/2019

Re: Focus mk4 Adaptive LED retrofit

Post by Graham17 »

Thanks for reply, yes tried mouser, even went on uk site still comes up with £9.99 postage unless you order over £30 thats rediculous! Tried to call them to ask why number says not correct, did online chat but it was from the USA? Tried Rs components and Farnells both 0 stock.
Tried fitting brackets for levellers today, 1 got arm brocken so will have to fix that, other looks like its come from active suspension so different to single beam type will have to make up brackets!
Nothings easy is it! Assumed level sensors would be a variable resistor with wiper to vary voltage but tested both they def arn't variable resistors and both have diodes in line. Maybe optical sensors unless both brocken?
FocusStline
Vehicle: 2019 Focus ST Line wagon 1.0 125hp

Post by FocusStline »

Did you also try to find 34824-0160?
This is basically the same connector but without a bridge lock (whatever it means).

I ordered 34824-1124 and 34824-0124 for the IPMA. They both fit perfectly in the IPMA.

Edit: this might be worth a shot: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/automoti ... s/8842483/
Graham17

Post by Graham17 »

Thanks for reply and info, your right RS do have the other connector in stock, the lock tab is the bit at the top which locks it in place. Min order quantity 10, + pins vat and delivery still over £10 for something that costs 35p, maybe I'm being pervantic just seems expensive when only need the 1. That said can't find any elsewhere, so may have to bite the bullet, or think outside the box. One things for certain it won't work witout.
Got plenty to get on with before its needed though.
FocusStline
Vehicle: 2019 Focus ST Line wagon 1.0 125hp

Post by FocusStline »

The -0160 and -1160 both have a lock. So the locking function is there when you buy either of them.
Graham17

Post by Graham17 »

Thanks You are right those codes work on RS and in stock, so bit bullet and ordered 10 connectors and 100 crimp pins, minimum order quantity
(So if anyone contemplating this and needs a connector for HCM, let me know as will have 9 spare).
Been looking to see if you can just buy the sensor mounting brackets but No, they come as part of a kit with everything not cheap either £79 for front and £99 rear, for some reason used are dearer then new?
Anyway will have to make up brackets myself. Rear one that fits to beam is easy as just a right angle with tab that locates into existing hole and 6mm screw to secure, top one mounts to chassis which has holes pre drilled but its at an obtuse angle and is swept back and upwards, so this needs careful forming as very short of space and sensor needs to be square so arm moves vertically.
Front sensor luckily mine came with mounting bracket, but arm was brocken so will have to repair that, lower bracket is an L shape which is bent in several places to clear reinforcing on suspension arm but hopefully
do-able. Its a pity i havn't got templates to copy.
Wiring wise i have found a suitable grommet behind glovebox which exits in engine bay behind battery box, so that will need removing whilst cables are run, I've decided the rear sensor wires can run into engine bay then down and using existing undertrays along to rear sensor. Front is a short run to L/H suspension.
Then the additional wires to headlights, again all in engine bay. Once HCM connector arrives i will add the 12+ and - and canbus twisted pairs.

Studying the wiring diagram there are 3 different ways of doing this due to suspension differences.
1. ST this uses the suspension dynamics module to transmit the level sensor info via canbus to the HCM rather then direct connection and also uses twin rear level sensors due to independent left and right suspension arms.
2. Other independant rear suspension models Vignale etc again uses 2 rear sensors but is wired direct to HCM.
3. Single beam rear suspension, uses just 1 rear sensor again wired direct to HCM.
So to recap
ST and models with dynamic suspension needs 8 wires to HCM, all others need 14.
I have also discovered that the Asbuilt code on 734-02-01 to 04 are all your vin in hex format.
There are also changes to be made if not an ST on
734-01-01 to 07 i'm guessing these are telling the module the sensors are on board rather then from the dynamics module.
Ive established this by comparing asbuilts on an ST, STline, Vignale and Titanium X all with adaptive lighting, couldnt find a Titanium anywhere with adaptive lighting so hope codes i have will work ok.
Will keep you posted as project progresses.
Anduril
Vehicle: Ford Focus Active X

Post by Anduril »

My Active (EU, w/ adaptive leds from factory) with multilink rear suspension has only one rear level sensor on the left and none on the right.
Graham17

Post by Graham17 »

On wiring diagram it shows 2 on independent rear suspension, wired in parrallel, however I'm sure 1 works adequately maybe Ford changing design to save a few £, after all its only monitoring car height and only 1 on beam suspension anyway. Have seen ST rear subframe that has 2 sensors, but could also be to do with dynamic suspension?
Anduril
Vehicle: Ford Focus Active X

Post by Anduril »

Mine was built by the end of 2020 so it has many money saving "features" :mrgreen:
Graham17

Post by Graham17 »

Right guys, the story so far, i have modified my existing headlamp looms, created new looms for front and rear headlight levellers, Front 1 in place and working on suspension, rear one needs bracket making as body where it fits is at obtuse angle, really need it on a ramp to measure as hard on axle stands on your back! So still to do!
Anyway HCM fitted and reprogrammed with my vin and codes from Titanium X, adaptive headlights fitted.
Ignition on ran Forscan got several (9) DTC codes in HCM cleared all ended up with 3, config Left lamp, config Right lamp and rear level sensor (as its not fitted yet)
Turn ignition on, headlight switch auto, i get nothing on at all. no DRL.
Turn to manual on again get no DRL and 2 inner dip beams light up, select main beam, i get 2 small inners dip beam and 2 outers light up along with DRLs.
Indicators work as normal oh and as reported start car and they all flicker.
Convinced its coding. Need more research. If anyone can share their BCM in config (text mode) rather then asbuilt so i can see how mine needs changing for new adaptive lighting.
Thanks
Graham17

Re: Focus mk4 Adaptive LED retrofit SOLVED

Post by Graham17 »

Hi Guys well finally got adaptive lights fully functional and no DTCs, like to take all the credit as did most of the work but it was eefo88 who suggested fitting 6 2200uf capacitors in each of the led feed legs.
They are all in C2280E connector centre one you need + leg of each capacitor pins 1,2,3,38,39 and 40. The negative - on all goes to ground.
This works great.
So retrofit completed.
From having Halogens to Adaptive lights, fitting HCM and all level sensors and made up looms.
It can be done but its a lot of work, not for the faint hearted or inexperienced for sure!