Swapped cluster - got errors

Car configuration discussions and experience sharing
zanoii
Vehicle: Ford S-Max 2.0 TDCi, 2010.5

Swapped cluster - got errors

Post by zanoii »

Hi all,

So the gauge cluster on my GFs 2007 S-max broke and had to be replaced. It had screen issues + radio power issues which I've come to understand are common and the quickest fix is to replace the gauge cluster. So I bought a used cluster of the same model with lower mileage, swapped the clusters and adjusted the odometer mileage on the new one without issues.

This car has not been driven since summer, but I've periodically charged the battery and started the engine a couple of times and let it run until it's warm. I had the battery charger connected while using FORScan, and when uploading the SBL (more on this later) the engine was idling because otherwise voltage was too low to perform the procedure.

So, to the issue:
On the new cluster, the airbag and ESP (?) warning lights are lit. At first I didn't think of the warning lights, but they were definitely there before writing the new odo value - I know because I took photos:

I added the error log as attachment issues new cluster.txt as not to mess upp the post by pasting it inline. I see that a lot of modules seem to have lost contact with the BCM (code U0140), but most are old messages. Also the HVAC and IPC complains about incompatible configuration (code U2101). Please ignore Lost Communication With Rain Sensing Module and Lost Communication With Radio error messages as the rain sensor was missing when we bought the car and the radio has been swapped to an aftermarket one.

issues new cluster.txt
(7.36 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

What looks important to me, apart from the incompatible configuration messages, is the ABS "lost communication with BCM" error message, as this seems to be what's causing the warning lights: The log says "The ABS, EBD, TCS and ESP lamps are illuminated", but on the other hand it also says "Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request", so I'm confused. Could this be a stored DTC in the new gauge cluster? I think I deleted the errors but they came back.

If I swap back to the old cluster, no error messages are present.

And what about the incompatible configuration? I downloaded and saved the CC master from BCM and CC backup from the original IPC without issues, thinking I might have to upload this config to the new IPC, but I am not even able to open the CC backup from the new IPC:

Code: Select all

(OK) [14:38:12.885] Central configuration (Backup) has been started
(WARN) [14:38:12.961] Read configuration from secondary module...
(WARN) [14:38:21.340] Loading SBL to secondary module...
(WARN) [14:38:22.340] Loading block 1/1...
(OK) [14:38:24.950] SBL loaded successfully
(ERR) [14:38:26.010] Service procedure has been interrupted
What exactly do I need to do? Thankful for any advice.
Ghano38
Vehicle: Ford c max

Re: Swapped cluster - got errors

Post by Ghano38 »

The orange snow flake in the ipc is shown when it’s under 3 degrees it goes red from 0 degrees,it has nothing to do with esp.
zanoii

Post by zanoii »

Ghano38 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:44 pm
The orange snow flake in the ipc is shown when it’s under 3 degrees it goes red from 0 degrees,it has nothing to do with esp.
Ok, thanks for letting me know. I'm not sure I've seen this specific symbol before. In my 2010 S-max with Convers+ the cold warning is just a single big snowflake, and I'm fairly sure this was the case on the old cluster in this car as well.

Either way it shouldn't have been lit - it was about 10 degrees outside and the temp sensor also gets affected by the heat from the engine when idling.
zanoii

Post by zanoii »

After I cleared the profile from FORScan I was able to read the central configuration from main and program it to the backup module (IPC). I cleared all DTC's and read them again. Unfortunately, the Airbag and "cold weather" warning lights are still on, which they aren't on the original cluster.

It was also 12 degrees celsius outside. As the log says malfunction indicator lamps are off for all errors - why are these warning lights on? Am I missing something?

It also still says control module configuration incompatible, which I previously thought was due to a mismatch of the central configuration.

DTC log (modules with no errors omitted). As before - Radio and Rain Sensing Module errors are expected as both of those are missing.:

Code: Select all

===BCMii DTC U0231:87-2F===
Code: U0231 - Lost Communication With Rain Sensing Module

Additional Fault Symptom:
 - Missing Message

- DTC Present at Time of Request
 - Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Module: Body Control Module

Freeze Frame :
-GLOBTIM: 22829205 s - Global real time
-MAINECUV: 12.00 V - Main ECU voltage supply
-ESTSERUN: No  - Engine status - engine running
-ESTSECRK: No  - Engine status - engine in crank
-INCARTMP: 12 °C - In car temperature
===END BCMii DTC U0231:87-2F===

===IPC DTC U0140:00-2B===
Code: U0140 - Lost Communication With Body Control Module

Module: Instrument Panel Control Module

===END IPC DTC U0140:00-2B===

===IPC DTC U0151:00-2B===
Code: U0151 - Lost Communication With Restraints Control Module

===END IPC DTC U0151:00-2B===

===IPC DTC U2101:00-2B===
Code: U2101 - Control Module Configuration Incompatible

===END IPC DTC U2101:00-2B===

===IPC DTC U0184:00-2B===
Code: U0184 - Lost Communication With Radio

===END IPC DTC U0184:00-2B===

This thread seems to be about the exact same issue: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15509

Another question - is there a way to open and read the .cct files? I get that they're clear text, but it's just numbers so it's impossible to interpret if you don't know the data structure.